Friday, October 9, 2009

Back from Brazil

It's been a long week, traveling to Latin America on business.  I left Boston early on Monday and flew to Mexico City, arriving mid-afternoon on Monday.  I worked with the local team on Monday afternoon -- storechecks, consumer in-home and then dinner.  It was a very long day, not getting to my hotel room until after 10 pm that night (I left home around 6 am).

The next morning I got up for my workout.  Still dealing with the ribs, and the stress fracture in my foot which doesn't seem to be healing, I rode the stationary bike in the gym -- a good one for a change -- a real spinning bike (Lifefitness).  I DEFINATELY felt the altitude -- wow!!  What a difference.  Since I hadn't been working out much due to the ribs, I wasn't sure how much was the altitude, and how much was my basic conditioning level -- but after a 5 minute warm up, I started doing ladders of 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 60, 50, 40, 30, 20 second intervals all out, letting my HR drop down below 120 before I started the next interval.  I cranked my HR -- getting it up over 160, which is really unusual for me on the bike.  My legs were screaming.  Altitude for sure.  I rode for an hour, with a short cool down, repeating the interval set 2x with a 3 minute recovery between the two sets.  Really the best workout of the week -- too much traveling, and not being able to run due to the stress fracture in my foot (more on that in a minute) really has me bumming out.

So, the ribs are definately feeling better.  Still not 100% -- it still hurts a little to sleep on my side.  But, the ultimate test of being able to get in and out of bed easily and relatively pain-free has been "passed."  So much so, that last week I decided to try to run.  So, on Monday (a week ago) I hopped on the treadmill, figuring I would do a very easy 5 km run.  It had been 9+ weeks since my last run (the Marlborough Triathlon on July 27th) and after about 2 kms, my foot/toe started to hurt again.  Incredible!!

So, the background on the stress fracture is this:  somehow I developed it while doing the Providence Half Ironman in early July (the 12th).  For some reason, my right foot swelled up after the swim, during the bike.  When I got to the run after R2, the elastic laces on my running shoes were WAY too tight.  I couldn't loosen them enough.  I don't know if I got stung by a jellyfish during the swim, or had unusual chafing from my riding shoes, but when I got out of my bike shoes, I had a blister on my second toe and my right foot was all swollen.  Of course, I plowed on, threw on my shoes, and didn't need to tighten the laces.  After a few miles though, my foot was going numb.  I probably should have just cut the laces, or pulled the yankz apart and relaced them through fewer holes. I just kept going...and finished the run (with a not so bad time, even).

The next day, my foot was killing me.  And, it continued to hurt for a few days.  I gave it a few days off; but then went back to running on it.  Each time I ran, it bothered me during the run; and even more after the run was over and for the next day or two.

Long story short, it continued to bother me the rest of the month of April.  I did a short/sprint tri on July 26th, ran a great race with no pain (thinking -- this is how it should feel) ... but later that day, the pain returned.  I decided that I wouldn't run again until I got it checked out by a doc, which didn't happen until a week later, while on vacation in Singapore.  I went back to my old Sports Medicine Doctor I had seen when I lived there, and got it checked out.  An x-ray and MRI later confirmed it:  a stress fracture.  His advice:  "stay off of it for the next six weeks."

So, I did.  Then on the first day of the sixth week, I fell and broke the ribs.  Add another four weeks to the lay-off.  The stress fracture should DEFINATELY be healed.  Nope.  Ribs are doing much better, but the two times I've tried to run in the last week, my toe/foot immediately begin to hurt again.  So, after getting back from Brazil this morning, I went to see a sports podiatrist in the afternoon.  He checked me out; and is ordering another MRI to see what is going on.  I probably won't know anything until sometime mid-next week, or maybe even slightly later.  :(  So bummed out by all of this.

I've NEVER broken a bone in my life.  This summer:  4.  I don't know if it's aging; or bad luck; or what?   But, it's surely been a string that has really kept me away from the things I love.  I have missed a LOT of races this year; and I'm still not back at everything.

The good news is that my ribs are now healed enough that I've been able to swim.  Not 100% still -- there is still pain there (which I particularly felt on the 12 hour flight from Rio last night!)  But, each day is a little better.  Today I swam and rode my bike on the CT.  I've definately lost fitness through this bout with bad luck ... but I know it will come back quickly once I can get back in to it in a more structured way, which I hope might be as early as next week.  Fingers crossed, I might even be running again in another week or two.  I hope!!

9 comments:

  1. Good news - you are starting to come around, chip! GOOD...fingers crossed that we can get rolling on Monday! Keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there. Sounds like you are over the hurdle, now you just have to be patient:) ( So easy i know. NOT.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wrap your foot. It might not help--but if you take two or three gauze pads and places them on the ball of the foot underneath the second/third metatarsal and slightly underneath your toes and then wrap your foot in medical tape--all the way around the foot--not too tight, but not loose either, then it may help both when walking and running. Also, wear only shoes that have a huge toe box. This is especially important with your running shoes. The laces must be very loose--but also the toe box of the shoe must be wide enough. I've had good look with the Nike Frees. Saucony can work. Regular Nikes--no go.
    None of this may help.
    But it might.
    Don't ask how I know. Aging sucks ass--and
    I'm running Bay State next Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, that is frustrating, be patient, it will all work out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chip! Our coach, Jen, passed along the link to your blog and mentioned that you were dealing with some broken ribs. It looks like you're healing up well... and that is terrific news!

    If you search through my blog (somewhere around the April 2008 entries), you'll see that whiel training for a competition unrelated to triathlon, my husband (now a newbie triathlete) fell nearly 40', broke a bunch of ribs and more seriously, lacerated his liver. It was a long, slooow road back to recovery, but he was back in full swing for tri season 2009 and he just keeps getting better. He'll always be a little lumpy (I tease him all the time) on his right side and things may always be a bit stiff from scar tissue, but it truly is AMAZING how the body heals itself. Very soon, this will all be a thing of the past for you too!

    I'm looking forward to following your blog... and your journey back! Best wishes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the diagnosis from the podiatrist comes soon. Glad the ribs are healing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen is right, things are looking up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How is it now? I hope you are doing better! I just got dx with a stress fx too. It stinks. do you have a boot to wear on your foot? I am the ribs are doing better at least!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eh Hem, someone needs to update their blog.. :)

    ReplyDelete